I am currently taking part in the #100daysofgamedev discord challenge started by indie developer Julia (@Juul1a), and today it officially kicks off!
The core idea is that we should all strive to complete at least a little bit of game development every single day to keep up with our projects and maintain motivation. Already a community of several hundred developers has joined together to support each other and provide updates on what they are up to, including myself!
And this is my first day update.
- Tweaked blog settings to get things looking nicer and to be a little better organized, still definitely can be improved but at least it is a decent base. I also linked to the Trello and Github.
- Started filling out more details on my Trello Boards of what I will want in my game, engine, and blog. Also made them publicly visible in case anyone wants to see what I'm planning (at least, once I know what I'm planning...).
- Setup the basic form of my Gouda engine repository. To set a little bit of context, I have already been working on a basic engine for a while and have it in a private repo, but I want to take this opportunity to take what I have learned, do a bit of a rewrite, and port that into a public repository to help others, get feedback, and also use as a learning resource. I'm realizing there is no good reason to keep it private, so might as well start fresh with something open :)
- Made a logo! I'm not sure if this is exactly what I will keep, but I'm pretty happy with it. Maybe obvious but it isn't actually vectors, just smooth-curves in the Procreate app (such an amazing app btw, will definitely have other updates that include art from that, I feel like my art skills have grown leaps and bounds already just using it for a few weeks). I feel it is at least somewhat reminiscent of a block of cheese, so I'm happy.
- So not much actual development, I did a bunch of coding yesterday to get a Discord bot working, so today I was happy to do some of the logistics and creative things to get a firm base ready.